The explosion of fake news and (often deliberate) misinformation in recent years and its spread into digital landscapes and public life has caused many teachers and educationalists to pause and take notice.
Are the efforts of traditional journalism, national authorities and broadcasting media enough to stem the tide of fake news?
Yet, we cannot separate our way of life from the march and benefits of new technology, and its impact on learning.
80:20 presents #BeyondTheClick: a teaching toolkit for exploring global digital citizenship involving nearly 100 people over a 1-year period produced as part of a broad collaboration led by 80:20 Educating and Acting for a Better World with the Edmund Rice Centre for Justice and Community Education, Concern Worldwide and the Irish Development Education Association exploring an educational response to this reality – dissecting, analysing and supporting a critical response across digital communities, both online and offline.
Launched at the inaugural Digital Citizenship Summit Ireland in April 2018, #BeyondTheClick is a development education digital toolkit for educators that supports exploration of digital landscapes and tools (social media, digital tools etc.) and how these can be used to in education for sustainable development in a human rights and justice context in a world of deep (and deepening ) inequality.
This inequality is not only economic and political, it also exists in access to technologies, the production of digital knowledge and where it is routinely used to disrupt and undermine democracy and to move genuine debate into the digital shadows.
»» Access the #BeyondTheClick microsite at toolkit.8020.ie
#BeyondTheClick seeks to:
- explore how 20% of the world (or less) shapes our understanding of the other 80%
- understand that the deliberate spreading of fake news is nothing new – learning to read, decipher and defeat it is a key 21st century skill
- explore and reflect on 20 cutting edge examples of how change can happen in an age of digital activism from Australia, China, Germany, India, Ireland, South Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, the UK and the US
- interrogate ‘clicktivism’ – is it a starting point or an end point in the struggle for human rights?
- a learning framework built on 8 learning strands
- 25 activities; 3 per learning strand
- a guide for educators – ideas for adapting the toolkit as part of workshop delivery in non-formal and formal education (links to Politics and Society, civics, social and environmental education, digital media literacy, English, business studies, Junior Cycle statements of learning and youth policy Brighter Outcomes Brighter Futures).
- links to related Sustainable Development Goals per learning strands
- 10 key elements of global digital citizenship – drawn from the 20 case studies and a range of other reference points in education for sustainable development, global citizenship education, digital literacy and human rights education
- our list of the top 5 recommended resources, websites, videos, open source tools and more
Title: #BeyondTheClick: a teaching toolkit for exploring global digital citizenship
Written by: Tony Daly and Colm Regan
Design and development: Dylan Creane at Gush Design
Developed in collaboration with: the Edmund Rice Centre for Justice and Community Education, Concern Worldwide and the Irish Development Education Association
Publisher: 80:20 Educating and Acting for a Better World
Publication date: April 28, 2018
#BeyondTheClick was part-funded by Irish Aid. The ideas, opinions and comments therein are entirely the responsibility of its author(s) and do not necessarily represent or reﬂect Irish Aid policy.