In this section:
Board of Management
80:20 Educating and Acting for a Better World’s Board of Management advise and assist on the governance of 80:20.
The Board of Management are the custodians of 80:20’s vision and values; they approve strategy, structure, annual plans and budgets and ensure the organisation is effective and accountable. The Board appoint the Co-ordinator of 80:20 and have delegated a range of day-to-day decision-making powers to the Co-ordinator.
The Board is currently made up of the following people:
- Mary Rose Costello
- Gerard Duffy (Chairperson)
- Louise Gaskin (Secretary)
- Grainne McGettrick
- Dermot O’Brien
Codes of conduct and regulation initiatives
- 80:20 is registered with the Charities Regulator public register of charities in the Republic of Ireland (charity number 20034221) as the national statutory regulator for charitable organisations, and the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland.
- 80:20 embarked on the Governance Code adoption journey in April 2016 and is currently reviewing organisational policies and practices. Note: the Governance Code is a code of practice for good governance of community, Voluntary and charitable organisations in Ireland.
- 80:20 is a signatory to the NGDO Charter on Basic Principles of Development and Humanitarian Aid NGOs in the European Union.
We are transparent and open about our finances. As a charity supported by voluntary public donations 80:20 is committed to:
- Preparing fully audited accounts which are available for inspection. From 2017, accounts are being prepared in accordance with the Statement of Recommended Practice for Charities (SORP);
- Working hard to keep governance and fundraising costs to a minimum
- One-third of the members of the board of management shall retire every year, to constantly refresh ideas and skills. Board members do not receive any remuneration;
- 80:20 does NOT give salary top ups or bonus payments to any personnel.
80:20’s annual accounts are prepared by chartered accountants Brendan Roddy & Associates, submitted to the Companies Office and the Charity Regulatory Authority and are available online:
- Audited accounts 2016 – available online soon
- Audited accounts 2015
- Audited accounts 2014
- Audited accounts 2013
- Audited accounts 2012
- Audited accounts 2011
80:20 is part-funded by Irish Aid, the Irish Government’s programme for overseas development. The views expressed on this website are those of the authors and not necessarily those of Irish Aid.
Policies and Procedures
80:20 has developed a range of policies and procedures that align with best practice and regulatory standards and frameworks as an Irish company and employer. These include:
- Child Protection Policy (updated 2017)
- Financial Controls and Procedures and Reserves Policy (updated 2017)
- Adoption of the Statement of Recommended Practice for Charities (SORP) (being updating in 2017-18)
- Management Committee Handbook (updating in 2017)
- Volunteers and Interns Policy (updating in 2017)
- Environment Policy (updating in 2017)
Note: 80:20 Educating and Acting for a Better World Company Limited by Guarantee. It is registered in Dublin, Ireland as Company Number: 261518